Baja’s Temporary Boat Importation Laws Have Changed

Temporary boat importation laws have changed for Baja and now every boat that goes down to Baja needs to have a temporary boat import permit. The only exception for the law is inflatable boats that can collapse and fit into a bag are exempt.

To get your temporary boat importation you will need to stop at the border on your way into Baja and have your paperwork in order. You can go into the Aduanas (customs) building at the border and they will direct you to the Banjercito where you will pay and get your permit.

You will need to cross at the Otay Mesa or Tecate border crossings (you are NOT able to get your permit at the San Ysidro, El Chaparral, port of entry).

You will need to have the following paperwork with you:

-Boat registration
-Motor serial number
-Copy of the title
-If there is a lienholder on the boat, you will need to have a letter from the lienholder granting permission to take the vessel to Mexico

The fee is about $50 and can be paid in pesos, dollars or by Visa or Mastercard. The permit is good for 10 years.

If your boat is already in Baja, you will need to go to Pichilingue in La Paz to complete this process. Only the owner of the boat can complete this process for the boat at Pichilingue as they will not allow a power of attorney.